Although most organizations will list “get new customers” or “get more customers” as a goal, many will misinterpret it as a task and will have a less than effective, unscientific and inconsistent method for meeting that goal.
The secret lies in understanding that getting customers is actually a series of steps which we call the Customer Cycle.
At 3C we teach our clients to view the Customer Cycle like this:
- Have something of VALUE to OFFER
- Note that value doesn't always mean dollars & cents - the idea is to fill a need or want
- LOCATE the MARKET
- Where are the people who want or need what you're offering?
- Creating a market is always harder
- Learn the LANGUAGE of the people
- Doing keyword research is a great way to discover both the market and the language being spoken
- Get in on the CONVERSATION
- People are already asking, discussing and critiquing your product, industry and maybe even your company so join in and provide relevant and timely ANSWERS.
- PRESENT your valuable offer once you've gotten someone's attention.
- Don't be shy - timid salesmen have skinny kids
- FULFILL the need with EXCELLENCE
- By being excellent you build a good reputation (corporate "good will") and SHIFT THE CONVERSATION to be about you and your brand
- Listen to the new conversations being said and ADD MORE VALUE
- Go back to STEP 4 and REPEAT
I hope this has been helpful.
You may also e-mail your questions and I'll respond with an answer as quickly as possible.